Recognized for our accomplishments
Ranked the city’s fourth-largest minority-owned business by Crain’s Chicago Business in 2019, Powers & Sons Construction and our projects are recognized for excellence.
AIA/ALA & CBC
- Northtown Library & Apartments was recognized by the American Institute of Architects (AIA) and the American Library Association (ALA) as one of just three U.S. recipients of the AIA/ALA 2020 Library Building Award. The project was also recognized by the Chicago Building Congress (CBC) with a 2020 Merit Award in the residential/hospitality category.
- Our work on 23rd Place at Southbridge was a finalist in the residential/hospitality category for the CBC’s 2023 Merit Award.
- Powers & Sons is recognized by the Indiana Chamber of Commerce as a Best Place to Work in Indiana (BPTWIN). We have received the honor for three consecutive years: 2023, 2022, and 2021.
BE TOP 100
- Powers & Sons Construction rose 30 spots on Black Enterprise magazine’s 2019 “BE Top 100” list of the nation’s largest Black-owned companies, up from #62 in 2017.
- La Casa Norte Pierce House, designed by Landon Bone Baker Architects, earned a Richard H. Driehaus Foundation Award for Excellence in Community Design Award in 2020.
HALF CENTURY BUSINESS
- In 2021, Powers & Sons Construction was recognized by the Indiana Economic Development Corporation (IEDC) with a Half Century Business Award for successfully completing over 50 years of business.
- Powers & Sons is recognized for our work on Rosenwald Court Apartments with the 2017 Chicago Landmark Award for Preservation and the ACHP/HUD Secretary’s Award for Excellence in Historic Preservation in 2018.
- Our historic preservation work to restore the historic Wabash YMCA was recognized with the 2001 Chicago Landmarks Award for Preservation Excellence, the 2001 Outstanding Private Leadership Award from the Landmarks Illinois, the 2002 Distinguished Building Award from the AIA of Chicago, and the 2002 National Preservation Honor Award from the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
U.S. GREEN BUILDING COUNCIL, ENC REGION
- Powers & Sons Indianapolis was among those recognized for building the sustainable new West Perry Branch of the Indianapolis Public Library. The 2023 Leadership Award recipient is Indiana’s Green Building of the Year in the LEED for Building Design + Construction. The award is made by the U.S. Green Building Council’s East North Central (ENC) Region, which includes Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio.