For over 40 years, Sarah’s Circle has served Chicago women experiencing homelessness. Their clients include victims of violence and domestic abuse, those struggling with physical and mental health challenges, and low-income women who cannot afford basic necessities like rent, food, and clothing.
Powers & Sons Construction is excited to partner with Sarah’s Circle and expand their capacity to serve. We have been selected as the general contractor for their new development, Sarah’s on Lakeside.
“We know that providing homes for people in need is possible, because Sarah’s Circle has done it for hundreds of women already,” said Kathy Ragnar, executive director of Sarah’s Circle at the June groundbreaking event. “Today, we’re doing more than just building housing—we’re breaking ground on permanent solutions for homelessness.”
- Designed by Perkins & Will, Sarah’s on Lakeside features 28 fully furnished, 350 SF studio apartments.
- Residents will share communal areas including a computer lab, demonstration kitchen, and laundry. Multi-purpose rooms will provide space for programming.
- Administrative offices and a conference room with an outdoor terrace will be on the second floor.
- Key activities taking place at the beginning of Q4 2023 include steel framing and installation of wall panels.
- The 25,500 SF structure is scheduled for substantial completion in Q3 (September) of 2024.
Through their drop-in daytime support center, a 50-bed interim housing program, a rapid rehousing program, and a growing number of permanent supportive housing units, Sarah’s Circle serves over 600 women each year.
We look forward to delivering a facility that will serve Sarah’s Circle clients and the community for years to come!