- Location: Chicago
- Completed: 2005-2015
- Delivery method: General contractor
Powers & Sons completed the ground-up new construction of all five phases for Legends South, a 92-acre mixed-income public housing development on Chicago’s south side. The ten-year initiative replaced the former Robert Taylor Homes high-rise complex, whose last building was demolished in 2007.
Legends South is comprised of five distinct developments:
- Mahalia Place, 18 buildings with 110 units
- Hansberry Square, two buildings with 181 units
- Coleman Place, 20 buildings with 118 units
- Savoy Square, 19 buildings with 138 units
- Gwendolyn Place, 14 buildings with 71 units
Powers & Sons worked closely with project partners during each phase of construction, from initial budget development to financing and construction completion. We also developed and executed a strategic hiring plan to employ diverse local MBE/WBE/DBE businesses and subcontractors.
Funding was provided by a U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development Hope VI grant through the Chicago Housing Authority, tax increment financing (TIF), Illinois Housing Development Authority tax credits, and private lenders.